Dear Les Is More:
I am sick of my built in bookcases. They never look like bookcases do in magazines or on TV. Do you have any ideas what I can do?
Yes. I have plenty of ideas—thanks for writing in. However, you don’t tell me the room it is in, or what material it is made out of –so here are my suggestions in no particular order.
- 1. Paint the inside or wall paper the inside of the bookcases and use texture rather than color to make them stand out.
- 2. Separate your books by color (use the spine of the book as your color guide) and use a few shelves to showcase a different color.
- 3. Make a few of the shelves book free and use this space for decorative items.
- 4. Use baskets to make the shelf organized. I love Kaisa Grass Tray Basket (12.00) from SERRV International (www.serrv.org or 1-800-422-5915) this muti-purpose basket can hold magazines and looks great on a book shelf. Using a few baskets such as Kaisa Basket Set which comes in 3 nesting sizes is great for different items and the handles on the baskets help you to move your magazines to your favorite chair. This is also a fair trade crafts non- profit organization and their products are the most beautiful I have seen in a while, and very reasonable.
- 5. I love using unusual types of baskets such as the (DabneyLeeat home.com) Lucite tray which is sexy in all the right ways. Designed by a New York artist, this tray is beautiful and is perfect for your bookcase. Use it to house a favorite large scale book, or a favorite book and spare glasses for the bar. Anything from this company makes a great addition to any space.
- 6. Paint the entire bookcase a bold color or stain it if it’s wood.
Good Luck with your design challenge and as a last resort, you might want to donate all of your books, take down the book case and buy a e-reader.